Join thousands of RV travellers
Sign up for our Go By Camper newsletter to receive inspirational travel content and awesome deals, and we'll send you a copy of our Ultimate RV guide!
Please confirm subscription in your email.
Whether it’s a weekend getaway or a longer New Zealand road trip, everyone should experience a road trip through New Zealand at least once in their life. If you are debating whether a New Zealand driving holiday is for you, we have put together a list of ten reasons you should experience a New Zealand road trip! Let's dive in.
Hire a maui for your New Zealand road trip
If you are looking to book a campervan hire for your New Zealand adventure, it’s important to ensure you choose the right one for your trip. Here are a few factors to consider when comparing motorhomes:
- How many people are you travelling with?
- How much space do you want/need?
- Do you want a full bathroom and kitchen?
Once you have decided on the right camper and booked it online, it’s as easy as picking up your camper at a convenient maui branch and hitting the road. With three branches throughout New Zealand in Christchurch, Auckland and Queenstown, there is bound to be one conveniently located for your upcoming New Zealand driving holiday. For more information on picking up your campervan hire, check out our guide to what to expect at pickup.
10 reasons you should experience an NZ driving holiday
With so much beauty to explore and fun things to do in New Zealand, there are plenty of reasons you should experience a New Zealand driving holiday. Let’s dive into the top ten reasons to go on a New Zealand road trip:
1. It’s affordable
A self-drive road trip is a great way to explore New Zealand cost-effectively. There are plenty of ways that a campervan hire can help keep costs down, including:
- Use the onboard facilities. You’ll be able to utilise the facilities in your camper like a kitchen to save on eating out. This is also great for trying local produce - head to the local markets or fisheries and cook it up in your little home on wheels.
- Try freedom camping. New Zealand is filled with freedom camping spots for self-contained vehicles like maui campervans. These can be free or low-cost and in numerous locations throughout the country.
- Stay at holiday parks. When choosing a campervan hire in New Zealand, you will also be able to take advantage of affordable powered camping sites at holiday parks. This allows you to plug in and do your laundry using the campsite facilities, without the price tag of a hotel.
2. It gives you more flexibility
All in all, a campervan hire provides you with more flexibility. A New Zealand driving holiday in a campervan, you’re not bound to flight times, accommodation or even location! Travelling in a campervan, you can extend or shorten your stay in certain places, or if you arrive and it’s not what you had hoped - you can simply keep driving.
3. Be your own tour guide
Travelling in a campervan gives you the gift of being able to explore New Zealand on your own terms. No waiting for tour buses to take you where you want to go. Instead, be your own guide, create the trip you have been dreaming of and explore New Zealand at your own pace.
4. Travel in privacy
Travelling in a campervan gives you more privacy. Instead of having to go from hotel to hotel, you will have your own space. This means that you can choose to be as social as you want, and if you choose, simply enjoy the quiet and solitude of nature as you explore New Zealand.
5. You’ll experience more of New Zealand
You’re never far from a jaw-dropping view in New Zealand. A New Zealand driving holiday allows you to make the most of this endless beauty and explore more of the attractions and natural wonders than you would be able to in a fly-in, fly-out holiday. Best of all, the drive is often just as beautiful as the end destination. Perhaps you may see parts of the country you never even thought to explore!
Top tip: Be sure to plan your route ahead of time and check the restrictions when driving in a campervan to ensure your route doesn’t take you along any restricted roads.
6. Tick off your bucket list destinations
In a campervan, you are not waiting on anyone else or having to follow a set itinerary. Instead, you’re free to create your dream holiday, visiting all the places on your New Zealand bucket list. Best of all, with branches across the country, you can start at one end of the country and end at another with ease. That way, you can experience everything from the best places to visit on the North Island to the New Zealand South Island must-dos, and everything in between.
7. Travel with everything you need in tow
One of the best things about travelling with a campervan is that you have everything you need at your fingertips. After you unpack your bags into the camper, you won’t have to unpack and repack for every new destination. Best of all, with the onboard storage, you don’t have to worry about lugging around suitcases from place to place. What a dream!
For more on packing for a campervan holiday, check out our guide to what to pack for a campervan holiday.
8. You can enjoy quality time with your family
Travelling in a camper with your loved ones is a perfect way to create lasting memories. In a campervan, you will have the chance to play road trip games, explore new attractions and experiences, and hang out fireside or with a meal, sharing stories from the day's activities. There is really nothing like it.
9. Experience off-the-grid accommodation
Say goodbye to expensive accommodation costs and get a taste of wild New Zealand when you travel in a campervan. With a campervan you can take advantage of the low-cost holiday parks and freedom camping spots dotted around the country. Often in beautiful and remote destinations, free camping offers the opportunity to take a break and truly connect with nature. New Zealand is jam-packed with freedom camping sites next to rivers, beachside, nestled in amongst the trees and on the outskirts of cities. These are free and welcome for self-contained campervans like maui motorhomes.
For more on where to stay, check out our guide to campervan accommodation in New Zealand.
10. Hassle-free travel
A driving holiday is relatively hassle-free. You don’t need to worry about going to the airport a few hours before your flight or packing and unpacking bags as you check into and out of accommodation. Instead, you can hit the road whenever you want to, at a moment's notice.
Answering your frequently asked questions
How long do you need to road trip New Zealand?
Overall, the length of your trip will depend on how many places you want to visit. A good place to start planning your New Zealand adventure is to check out our popular driving routes and get an idea of the places you want to explore. As you go through, make a wish list of destinations and use Google Maps or a road trip itinerary planner like thl Roadtrip app to create your itinerary. This will help you map out how many hours you will need to drive, so you can break this down per day to get an idea of how long your trip should be.
How should I prepare for a New Zealand road trip?
There are many ways to prepare for your New Zealand Road trip. These are our top suggestions for preparing for a New Zealand driving holiday:
- Road trip itinerary planner. Once you have a rough idea of your route, be sure to download a road trip itinerary planner such as thl Roadtrip app. This app is a must-have for a New Zealand road trip. In it, you will have access to a map outlining campgrounds, campsite facilities, top things to do in New Zealand, dump points and more.
- Book your campervan hire in advance. Another important step is to book your campervan hire in advance. This will ensure you can get a campervan for the dates you want without having to compromise or cut your trip short.
- Book a campsite at your favourite holiday parks. Once you know your itinerary, it’s a good idea to reserve your spot at your chosen New Zealand campervan holiday parks. This is especially important if you are planning a trip during peak periods like summer or during school holidays.
- Know the NZ rules of the road. There is nothing worse than an accidental ticket to put a dampener on a holiday. It is a good idea to familiarise yourself with the driving rules in New Zealand to ensure you keep safe and ticket-free!
Ready for your next New Zealand adventure?
New Zealand is filled with stunning attractions, tranquil beauty and endless activities, making it the perfect destination for a campervan hire holiday. Whether you are planning a solo adventure, a family getaway, or a romantic trip for two, you should experience a New Zealand driving holiday at least once in your life.
Ready to explore New Zealand on your very own driving adventure? Book your maui campervan online today.